The ElixirTalk Podcast
Taking questions from around the Elixir community about application design principles and the state of the ecosystem. Ask us a question!
Latest Episode: Episode 165 feat. José Valim (May 26, 2020)
Episode 165 - José Valim on Bytepack, Open Source, and LiveView changes in Phoenix 1.5
Chris and Desmond are backed by a very special guest; José Valim! You might know José as the creator of the Elixir programming language and we’re excited to have him back as a 3rd time guest on the show. José walks us through a brand new Dashbit project, Bytepack which is a way to package and sell software projects and takes all of the hassle out of the process today. We dig into Bytepack and discuss sustainable open source, Dashbit, and more.
As well as that we also hear about the new Phoenix 1.5 features, LiveDashboard, all of the great new LiveView enhancements, some nice new Elixir additions and much more! A lot of links in this episode, think we got them all below but let us know if we missed anything 👇
- Jose on Twitter: https://twitter.com/josevalim
- Dashbit: https://dashbit.co
- BytePack: https://bytepack.io
- Payitoff: https://payitoff.io - email desmond[at]payitoff.io for job info!
- Oban UI: https://oban.dev
- Phoenix 1.5 release: https://elixirforum.com/t/phoenix-v1-5-0-released/30693
- Phoenix LiveView: https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_live_view/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md#0120-2020-04-16
- LiveView testing additions: https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix_live_view/Phoenix.LiveViewTest.html
- Phoenix LiveDashboard: https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_live_dashboard
- Surface Component Library: https://github.com/msaraiva/surface
- 15 minute Twitter demo: https://www.phoenixframework.org/blog/build-a-real-time-twitter-clone-in-15-minutes-with-live-view-and-phoenix-1-5
- OTP 23 Release: https://www.erlang.org/news/140
- ElixirConf 2019 Keynote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUZC1s1N42Q
- Elixir Compiler Tracing: https://blog.appsignal.com/2020/03/10/building-compile-time-tools-with-elixir-compiler-tracing-features.html
- Boundary by Saša Jurić: https://github.com/sasa1977/boundary
|> Elixir Expertise
Chris and Desmond have over half a decade of combined Elixir experience on dozens of applications in fields such as cryptocurrency, digital media, consumer products, and restaurants. They've deployed apps to Heroku, Linode, and EC2, successfully adopted Elixir at existing organizations, and worked on greenfield projects.
They are organizers of the EMPEX Conferences and big fans of Star Trek.
Desmond is the founder of the EMPEX Conference Series and runs Crevalle, a boutique software consultancy. In his free time he likes to surf, play pinball, and ride his motorcycle, Porco Rosso. He lives in Venice Beach, California.
Chris is an Englishman in New York, where he works as the Director of Engineering at Frame.io, a startup that helps video teams collaborate. An avid alchemist, he is a regular speaker at Elixir conferences and helps organize the NYC branch of EMPEX.
Adopting Elixir at your company? Don't make costly mistakes or spin your wheels while your team ramps up. Our years of experience can help you make the right architectural decisions early and give your team the training they need to get up and running quickly and confidently.
Contact us at info [at] elixirtalk.com for more information.