The ElixirTalk Podcast
Taking questions from around the Elixir community about application design principles and the state of the ecosystem. Ask us a question!
Latest Episode: Episode 163 - EMPEX LA Recap, Project Management Tools, and Monitoring (March 6, 2020)
We’re back with a recap with another episode of ElixirTalk. In this episode we cover quite a few topics; an EMPEX LA recap, a foray into project management tools that we like and use (!), and then we round things out by talking about Chris integrating App Signal into his API at Muru.
It’s a fun, jam packed episode with us going all around through many topics and go longer than we thought and off on an ops tangent (as usual).
Times of topics:
- Intro [00:00 - 03:40]
- EMPEX LA Recap [03:40 - 17:10]
- Project Management Tools: [17:10 - 25:40]
- Monitoring / Metrics / Instrumentation: [25:40 - 39:30]
- Close [39:30 - 41:00]
- EMPEX LA: https://empex.co/la
- Todd Resudek - It’s Time to Embrace Erlang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJb9wjUJhm4
- Shanti Chellaram - High Performance Data Structures in Erlang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdxhxAqxR94
- Jesse J. Anderson - Powering Pixels with Scenic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3L-VZtP_dY
- Geoffrey Lessel - Controlling MIDI Devices in Real Time with Elixir – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o4FzOFL2eE
- Michael Reis - Nerves Takes to the Sky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o4FzOFL2eE
- Jeff Grunewald - Stream-processing connected vehicle data in Elixir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKnY2hO2JdA
- EMPEX NYC: https://empex.co/nyc
- EMPEX NYC CFP: https://forms.gle/Vv3aqpXbtQA8a4TU8
- Desmond on Twitter: https://twitter.com/desmondmonster and Chris on Twitter: https://twitter.com/cjbell_
- Pivotal Tracker: https://www.pivotaltracker.com/
- Clubhouse: https://clubhouse.io/
- Linear: https://linear.app
- Notion: https://notion.so
- Appsignal: https://appsignal.com
- Spandex: https://github.com/spandex-project/spandex
- Datadog: https://datadog.com
- Telemetry: https://github.com/beam-telemetry/telemetry
|> Elixir Expertise
Chris and Desmond have over half a decade of combined Elixir experience on dozens of applications in fields such as cryptocurrency, digital media, consumer products, and restaurants. They've deployed apps to Heroku, Linode, and EC2, successfully adopted Elixir at existing organizations, and worked on greenfield projects.
They are organizers of the EMPEX Conferences and big fans of Star Trek.
Desmond is the founder of the EMPEX Conference Series and runs Crevalle, a boutique software consultancy. In his free time he likes to surf, play pinball, and ride his motorcycle, Porco Rosso. He lives in Venice Beach, California.
Chris is an Englishman in New York, where he works as the Director of Engineering at Frame.io, a startup that helps video teams collaborate. An avid alchemist, he is a regular speaker at Elixir conferences and helps organize the NYC branch of EMPEX.
Adopting Elixir at your company? Don't make costly mistakes or spin your wheels while your team ramps up. Our years of experience can help you make the right architectural decisions early and give your team the training they need to get up and running quickly and confidently.
Contact us at info [at] elixirtalk.com for more information.