The ElixirTalk Podcast
Taking questions from around the Elixir community about application design principles and the state of the ecosystem. Ask us a question!
Latest Episode: Episode 162 feat. Bruce Tate (January 31, 2020)
Episode 162 - Designing Elixir Systems with Bruce Tate
It’s another episode of ElixirTalk, this time Chris and Desmond are joined by the one and only Bruce Tate author of many notable titles such as Programming Phoenix and Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, as well as being a frequent speaker on the circuit. We dig into the new Designing Elixir Systems with OTP book, that James Edward Gray, II and Bruce co-authored. We talk a lot about the way systems are put together, going into depth about the ‘Do Fun Things with Big, Loud Worker-Bees’ pattern that’s advocated for in the book. Along the way we talk about software design, persistence and more. Come along for the ride, it’s a fun one!
- Bruce Tate on Twitter: twitter.com/redrapids
- Grox.io: https://grox.io
- Designing Elixir Systems with OTP: https://pragprog.com/book/jgotp/designing-elixir-systems-with-otp
- Chris McCord Elixir Conf Keynote 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txk4WAlabvI
- The Climb at EMPEX 2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lkO-kgxoiY
- Seven Languages in Seven Weeks: https://pragprog.com/book/btlang/seven-languages-in-seven-weeks
- Poncho Projects: https://embedded-elixir.com/post/2017-05-19-poncho-projects/
- Grox.io Quadblock Series: https://grox.io/series/quad
- The River at Lone Star Elixir 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW85rW6-PgI
- Justin Schneck goes to Very: https://www.verypossible.com/news/very-hires-justin-schneck-co-author-of-nerves-project?utm_content=111962264&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&hss_channel=tw-1009603460
- EMPEX LA: https://empex.co/la
- EMPEX NYC: https://empex.co/nyc
- Lonestar Elixir Conference: https://lonestarelixir.com/
- Gig City Elixir Conference: https://www.gigcityelixir.com/
- Dev Next Conference: https://www.devdotnext.com/
|> Elixir Expertise
Chris and Desmond have over half a decade of combined Elixir experience on dozens of applications in fields such as cryptocurrency, digital media, consumer products, and restaurants. They've deployed apps to Heroku, Linode, and EC2, successfully adopted Elixir at existing organizations, and worked on greenfield projects.
They are organizers of the EMPEX Conferences and big fans of Star Trek.
Desmond is the founder of the EMPEX Conference Series and runs Crevalle, a boutique software consultancy. In his free time he likes to surf, play pinball, and ride his motorcycle, Porco Rosso. He lives in Venice Beach, California.
Chris is an Englishman in New York, where he works as the Director of Engineering at Frame.io, a startup that helps video teams collaborate. An avid alchemist, he is a regular speaker at Elixir conferences and helps organize the NYC branch of EMPEX.
Adopting Elixir at your company? Don't make costly mistakes or spin your wheels while your team ramps up. Our years of experience can help you make the right architectural decisions early and give your team the training they need to get up and running quickly and confidently.
Contact us at info [at] elixirtalk.com for more information.